Course Description: The course introduces the basics of the research to the undergraduate students. It includes language of research, ethical principles and challenges, and the elements of the research process within quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods approaches. It is designed to assist students understand the difference between different forms of research writings like book, thesis and research paper.
- develop an understanding of research terminology
- create awareness of the ethical principles of research, ethical challenges and approval processes
- differentiate among quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods approaches to research
- learn the steps involved in research process
- identify the components of a literature review process
- understand the difference between research paper, thesis and book writing
- develop knowledge about different components of a synopsis and a research paper
- Introduction to Research
- Research process overview
- Research methods: Qualitative, Quantitative, Mixed method research
- Types of Qualitative and Quantitative researches
- Thinking like a researcher: Understanding concepts, constructs, variables, and definitions
- Problems and Hypotheses: Defining the research problem, Formulation of the research hypotheses
- Reviewing literature
- Data collection
- Data processing and analysis
- Difference between a research paper, thesis and book writing
- Parts of a synopsis
- Research ethics and plagiarism
- Research paper formatting: MLA and APA
Take Online Exams
- Bhattacherjee, Anol. (2012). Social Science Research: Principles, Methods and Practices. University of South Florida.
- Bryman, Alan and Bell, Emma (2011). Business Research Methods (Third Edition), Oxford University Press.
- Chawla, Deepak and Sondhi, Neena (2011). Research methodology: Concepts and cases, Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd. Delhi.
- Creswell, J. W. (2014) . Research design: Qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods approaches. 4th Ed.. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Kerlinger, F.N., and Lee, H.B. (2000). Foundations of Behavioural Research (Fourth Edition), Harcourt Inc.
- Rubin, Allen and Babbie, Earl (2009). Essential Research Methods for Social Work, Cengage Learning Inc., USA.
- Pawar, B.S. (2009). Theory building for hypothesis specification in organizational studies, Response Books, New Delhi.
- Neuman, W.L. (2008). Social research methods: Qualitative and quantitative approaches, Pearson Education.
- Walliman, Nicholas. (2001). Your Research Project. Sage Publications.