Course Description: Students in this free course learn how to write compelling short stories, novels, plays, and essays by mastering the elements of effective prose, such as plot, setting, characters, and imagery. Students will have the chance to experiment with various prose and poetry forms as well as literary responses. The importance of originality and thoughtful writing will be highlighted. We'll look at innovative approaches to generate writing ideas as well as ways to avoid writer's block. This course depends on peer reviews and discussion in the comments section under each lesson.
- 20 Tips for Improving Word Choice in Creative Writing: Strategies and Examples
- Why Reading is Essential for Successful Writing: 20 Reasons with References
- 20 Tips for Using Structure to Reflect Theme in Creative Writing
- Optimizing Your Writing Processt
- When to Change Paragraph
- 20 Tips for Writing Vivid and Descriptive Prose
- 20 Tips for Writing Figurative and Flowery Language
- 10 Types of Tone and 15 Tips for Selecting Tone in Writing
- Boost Your Creativity: 15 Brainstorming Techniques
- 20 Essential Characteristics of Good Writing
Learning OutcomesHaving completed this course you should be able to:
✓ Create works of literature in various genres, including, but not limited to: short story/fiction, creative nonfiction, drama, and poetry
✓ Correctly identify the basic elements of fiction and creative nonfiction.
✓ Gain an accurate vocabulary of prose terms.