In English, there are two main types of questions: Yes/No questions and WH-questions. WH-questions begin with question words such as what, when, where, who, whom, which, whose, why, and how.
Question Words and Their Usages:
- Used to ask about things:
What are you doing?
- Used to ask about opinions:
What do you think about the movie?
- Used to ask about time:
When will the meeting start?
- Used to ask about plans or schedules:
When are you leaving?
- Used to ask about places:
Where's my bag?
- Used to ask about locations:
Where do you live?
- Used to ask about people:
Who do you love the most in your family?
- Used to ask about the subject of an action:
Who told you that story?
- Used to ask about people (object of verb):
Whom did you see in the morning? I saw Mr. Mark, my English teacher.
- Used to ask about the recipient of an action:
Whom was Jim talking to? He was talking to Jack, his new roommate.
- Used to ask about choices:
Which one do you choose? The left or right?
- Used to ask about preferences:
Of all the drinks on the menu, which one would you like?
- Used to ask about possession:
Whose pencil is this? Is it yours?
- Used to ask about ownership:
Whose books are these?
- Used to ask about reasons/causes:
Why did it happen? I didn't understand.
- Used to ask about motivations:
< b>Why is he crying?
- Used to ask about manner/process:
How can you explain this problem? Please tell us.
- Used to ask about means or methods:
How can you get here?
How to Form WH-Questions
- With an auxiliary
Wh-word + auxiliary + subject + main verb ... ?
- What do you do for a living?
What do you do for a living?
- Why should we read books?
Why should we read books?
- When is she coming?
When is she coming?
(when WH-words replace subjects already)
- What happened to Peter?
What happened to Peter?
- Who won the game?
Who won the game?
- Who gave you this present?
Who gave you this present?
Responding to WH-Questions
- What is it?
It's a table.
- What color is your dress?
- What is your mom doing?
She's cooking in the kitchen.
- What do you think about the party?
Well, it's fun. I like the music best.
- What will happen if our team loses this time?
We'll be out of the game.
- When will the train arrive?
The train will arrive in 30 minutes.
- When does she get up?
She gets up at 6 am.
- When did the party end?
It ended before 8 pm.
- When are you going to visit James?
I'm going to see him tomorrow.
- Where do you live?
I live in Washington D.C.
- Where are you going?
I'm going to the zoo.
- Where's the coffee bar?
It's between the supermarket and the cinema.
- Where did you leave my jacket?
I left it in my bedroom.
- Where have you been?
I've been in the library reading books.
- Who's this?
She's my new roommate.
- Who wants to be a
scientist in the future?
My sister does. I don't.
- Who would you like to travel with?
I would like to travel with my best friend, Kim.
- Who told you that secret?
Jenny did. She told me everything.
- Who do you like the most in this class?
I like Henry. He's so friendly.
- Whom should we talk to?
We should talk to the principal. She's responsible for student issues.
- Whom did you see yesterday?
I saw Kevin and his girlfriend.
- Whom would you like to interview?
I would like to interview Mr. Patrick, the director.
- Whom do we have to contact?
We have to contact the representative of that company.
- Whom did you meet in front of the building last week?
That was Annie, my secretary.
- Whom do you know in this class?
I only know Danny.
- Whom are you going to invite?
I'm going to invite all of my classmates.
- With whom do you agree?
I agree with Henry's team.
- Which shirt do you like?
I like the one with the big yellow star on it.
- Which color do you choose?
I choose red.
- Which part do you like the most in this story?
I love the 2nd part when the prince came and proposed to the princess.
- Which is the longest river in the world?
That's the Nile.
- Which one is yours?
Mine is the biggest one.
- Whose jacket is this?
It's my mom's.
- Whose birthday is today?
- Whose pencil is on the floor?
- Whose team is better?
Will's team is much better.
- Why don't we visit him now?
It's a good idea.
- Why did you leave so early?
Because I didn't enjoy the party.
- Why do you think that he loves you?
Because he's given me lots of chocolate on Valentine's day.
- Why do
people celebrate Thanksgiving?
Because it's a special day.
- Why can't I go to the cinema now?
Because you haven't done your homework.
- Why are you so late?
Sorry, teacher. I missed the bus.
- How's the weather?
It's sunny and hot.
- How do you feel?
I feel much better now.
- How did you know him?
We were old friends.
- How's your new job?
It's interesting. I enjoy it.
- How often do you go to the movie theater?
I sometimes go there. I'm quite busy.
- How far is it from your house to school?
Not too far. I walk to school every day.
- How much did it cost?
It cost $4.
- How many people are there in your class?
There are 30 of them.
- How come you lost the game?
I couldn't answer the first question well enough.