"A Moment Of Happiness" by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi captures a serene and intimate moment shared between two individuals who are deeply connected in spirit. The poem portrays a sense of unity, contentment, and transcendent love that goes beyond the physical realm.
"A Moment Of Happiness"
A moment of happiness,
you and I sitting on the verandah,
apparently two, but one in soul, you and I.
We feel the flowing water of life here,
you and I, with the garden's beauty
and the birds singing.
The stars will be watching us,
and we will show them
what it is to be a thin crescent moon.
You and I unselfed, will be together,
indifferent to idle speculation, you and I.
The parrots of heaven will be cracking sugar
as we laugh together, you and I.
In one form upon this earth,
and in another form in a timeless sweet land.
"A Moment Of Happiness" portrays a moment of unity, joy, and love shared between two souls. The poem emphasizes the deep connection between the two individuals as they experience the beauty of nature and the universe around them. The poem conveys the idea of a timeless bond that transcends physical presence and extends into the realm of eternity.
The poem beautifully captures the essence of unity and oneness between the two individuals. The verandah setting and the reference to "apparently two, but one in soul" underscore the spiritual and emotional connection that binds them together.
The imagery of "flowing water of life," the garden's beauty, and the birds singing paints a tranquil and harmonious scene that reflects the serenity of the moment.
The metaphor of the "thin crescent moon" and the stars watching suggests a unique and remarkable connection between the two individuals, something that stands out even in the vastness of the universe.
The phrase "You and I unselfed" implies a state of selflessness and egolessness, where the boundaries between individual identities dissolve, leaving only the purity of the shared experience.
The mention of the "parrots of heaven cracking sugar" highlights the joy and playfulness of the moment, symbolizing the carefree and delightful nature of their connection.
- Spiritual Unity: The poem explores the theme of spiritual unity and interconnectedness between two souls that goes beyond physical presence and conventional boundaries.
- Transcendent Love: The poem portrays a love that transcends time, space, and physical form, emphasizing a profound connection that is eternal and timeless.
- Harmony with Nature: The imagery of the garden, flowing water, and birds singing reflects the harmony and beauty of the natural world, which mirrors the beauty of the shared moment.
- Unity and Oneness: The poem conveys a sense of unity and oneness between the two individuals, highlighting their shared experience and emotional connection.
- Joy and Contentment: The poem exudes a feeling of joy, contentment, and lightheartedness as the individuals revel in each other's company and the beauty of their surroundings.
- Imagery: The poem uses vivid imagery to paint a serene and beautiful picture of the verandah, garden, stars, and parrots, enhancing the sensory experience of the reader.
- Metaphor: The metaphor of the "thin crescent moon" symbolizes the unique and remarkable nature of the connection between the two individuals.
How does the poem "A Moment Of Happiness" convey the idea of spiritual unity and transcendent love between the two individuals? How does the imagery of nature contribute to the overall atmosphere of the poem?